Tuesday, August 27, 2013

BC1 - HANDLE SHAPING & PREVIEW

HANDLE SHAPING & PREVIEW

The handle slabs are course and need some shaping and sanding. I used the 1" sanding drum with 80 grit to work both sides down to the approximate shape. Periodically I gripped the knife to get a feel where my fingers will go and how the knife feels overall.  
 The scales will come to meet the steel edge so starting with the beveling on top and bottom first made sense.
After about 45 minutes on the drum, I hit it with some 150 grit sand paper. If at this stage I don't like it, it's easy enough to abort this handle and start on another one.
 One wipe of tung oil and I knew this was going to look fine!

The flecking shows well with tung oil. I now need to drill out the poplar pins and remove the scales as the blade still needs more work.


 Very carefully drill out the pins. I used a 7/32" bit that was a shade smaller than the pins. On the drill press, precisely centre the bit on the pin and drill in the thickness of the scale only. I did this on one side. The separation was easy and I used some pliers to pull the pins from the other half.
 Scales removed. This is NOT the final finishing on the handle.The handle will be epoxied into place, brass pins inserted, ground and flared. So lots of work left for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment