Wednesday, August 28, 2013

BC1 - ROUGH HANDLE

ROUGH HANDLE


This evening I tossed a piece of scrap teak in the thickness planer and spotted some of those "quarter sawn fleks" of light thrown off. This piece came off of an old gas BBQ that sat outside for years. You remember the ones with the little side tables made of wood? 

I ripped the piece and selected two sections for the scales. My initial rip on the bandsaw didn't go too well and I ended up finishing the rip in the tablesaw with a thin kerf blade.

 After ripping, I ran the long pieces through the thickness planer and then shortened with the compound mitre saw.













Out of thickness planer.

In order to align the scales and keep them in place for shaping, I am going to use dowel that I can drill out afterwards.  The trick was to carefully align the front angles as precisely as possible, while only being able to drill one scale at a time. Patience! I trimmed some short pieces of poplar dowel and tapped them in to hold everything together.

I will be drilling these pins out after the shape is ready for fine sanding. Remember the knife has to be heat treated and polished before the handle scales can be attached permanently.

Once the tang was sandwiched, I went to work on the belt and disc sander to bring the scales closer to the shape of the metal.

 Trim saw for getting the pins close.







Belt sander to chow down on the pins.








For the curves I used a small drill type sanding drum in the drill press. 1" drum with 80 grit.
 The shape is close for now, but needs to have the thickness worked out.


A note on the handle shape. I wanted the front of the handle to be similar to the ricasso line, but not exactly parallel. I was looking at the lines on my car the other day and thought of a handle shape.












Next I'll shape the handle with a rasp and sanding papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment