Wednesday, January 22, 2014

DH11- HEAT TREATMENT

It's been a while since I sat down and actually did some knife work as I have been working on the 2 x 72" belt grinder. Now that the grinder is done I got back to some heat treating today.





I made a foil pouch from 0.002" 304 stainless steel and add a tiny piece of tissue paper.






Then I fold and crimp the edges to make a seal. Two folds all the way around.







While I am preparing the pouch, the heat treatment oven is warming up. Once it reaches 1050°C, I open the door and quickly slip the pouch in.









As I don't have a stand, I use a piece is fire brick with the slots cut in it.
Once the steel is back up to temperature, I let is soak for 15 minutes and remove the pouch and press it between two copper plates and blow compressed air on the whole works for a few minutes. It's cool to touch very quickly.
Open the pouch with scissors and reveal the blade.
I like this unusual oxidization pattern.
No to time waste, into the tempering oven for 2 cycles of 200°C for 2 hours each.









This is the product after tempering is complete. It's unfortunate I cannot keep the cool colours. They will be sanded off in the next step.
















No comments:

Post a Comment