Tuesday, January 21, 2014

DH11 - POST HEAT AND SCALE ATTACHMENT

Post Heat Treatment Finishing

After heat treating I had this cool rainbow colour effect on the blade, but I must go forth and start finishing. I start with 220 grit sand paper and WD-40 as a lubricant.


You can see oxidization is gone and the elbow grease continues. Once I have a satisfactory finish I give it a good wipe with acetone.
Placing my maker's mark stencil on. I have only a small area to work in, so I had to be very careful about the positioning.
 After the electrolytic etch. A little dark, but this will polish out.
 I cut the mosaic pins and thong tube to go through the holes. After hack sawing, I chamfered them a tiny bit on the belt grinder.
After making sure that the pins were going to fit in all the pieces, I mixed the epoxy and quickly went to work.








As this is a tapered tang, I didn't realise I would need as many clamps as I did. I ended up using my leather-jawed vise grips along with a carpenter's vise and a C clamp! What a beautiful mess.






 This is what it looked like after 5 hours after mixing the epoxy.





 Next I start finishing the handle with a 1" drum sander. I love this process. The drum sanding is easy and allows one to make small adjustments in the surface without botch. (At this stage we don't want to botch anything!)
 The drum sander also works the curves. If you have a set that has the different sizes, I'm sure you'll get to use most of them working on knives.
After removing the masking tape I noticed a gap between the spacer material and the blade. This was cause by the masking tape being pinched in there and preventing epoxy from going in that area.
 My fix is to mix up a micro-batch of the same epoxy and pressing it down into the crack.
 Then I wipe with a wet wipe. (like those Armour All wipes.)
A little bit more sanding and here is where I am at for today.











  

No comments:

Post a Comment