Wednesday, May 7, 2014

KN5 - CHEF'S KNIFE LAYOUT & GRIND












Making a chef's knife has always been something I wanted to do. With Mother's Day coming, I thought I'd better get on with it. I am looking at something that is fairly lightweight, with a 7" blade.

The template was printed and transferred to a piece of plywood with carpenter's glue.







Once the pattern is made we can make as many chef's knives as we want. :-) Ha, ha. We'll start with one for now.




I chose AEB-L stainless steel. It is a razor blade steel from Bohler-Uddeholm in Sweden. This has 0.67% carbon and by all accounts should make a scary sharp knife.

I've blued it with layout dye and started inscribing where I want things to go on the steel. After some roughing work on the belt grinder I go to the smooth the bevel out with sandpaper and block to remove the high and low spots.


I am using 100 grit for this lubricated with WD-40.









Before heat treatment, I will get the stainless steel bolsters shaped and brought close to their finished size.

No comments:

Post a Comment