Tuesday, May 6, 2014

KN5 - CHEF'S KNIFE SS BOLSTER

For the chef's knife I wanted to add some 416 stainless steel bolsters attached with 416 pins.


From some 3/8" bar stock I did a flat grind to reduce the thickness to about 1/4". I did this with a blaze 60 belt on the belt grinder.




Then I drilled a series of holes around the curves and cut the section off the bar with a hacksaw. Once cut off I used the belt grinder to carefully shape inside the curve. Then I cut down the middle line with a hacksaw.
Once the piece is cut into the two sides, I align them as perfectly by eye as possible and clamp them to the tang with the factory surface facing the tang steel.
I punched and drilled right through with a #30 bit. The two holes are approximately as seen in the KN5 Template.
I cut some 1/8" brass pins as temporary fasteners. I pinned everything together with a ball pein hammer. These will be driven out after the initial shaping of the bolster.






Once the pins are in, I can start shaping the bolster to match the tang. I will make them very close at this stage. Once I remove the bolster, I can work the faces to slope them down to the blade.








I am using a blaze 60 to shape the bolster pieces in place.








For the inside round I opted for a 3/4" drum sander which works pretty good.








Once the shaping is done I remove the bolsters from the tang and repin them together.







Once joined up, I shape the two pieces together.








Focus on the front of the bolsters as these are close to the blade and will not be accessible once pinned permanently to the blade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment