Saturday, May 31, 2014

KN7 CHEF'S KNIFE - KEYHOLE SCALE FITTING

The wood for the scales is stabilized Aboyna burl from WoodStabilizer.com. I believe this is presentation grade as only the one side is heavy on burl. I wanted to show off the burl area at the tail end of the knife.

I taped up the blade and tested the scale against the tang, looking for a good placement. The trick here is to show off the burl while avoiding the two inclusions in the wood.

I held everything in place and traced the keyhole with a mechanical pencil.
I traced outside the pencil line with a fine Sharpie, then went over to the scroll saw and started notching away.
Once roughly cut, at touched up what I could on the disk sander. The shape doesn't really lend itself to any kind of flat surface sanding.

I clamped it to my toggle clamp board and positioned a lamp behind so I could better see the original pencil line. If you want to use a fine Sharpie to enhance the line go right ahead.







With a series of files and needle files I went very carefully around the line to perfect the shape. I found it works best if you angle the file slightly in at the bottom. This will create a slight taper and you can start fitting the bolster piece on and test the fit.






This is the left side scale done. Repeat the process for the right side scale and try to match the left.









 After finishing the second scale, I temporarily pinned the bolster and scales with wooden dowel.

No comments:

Post a Comment