Friday, December 26, 2014

DH44 - HUNTER: VINE FILEWORK

 On the tang I wanted to add something a little special for this knife. The simple vine filework adds some flair for a little effort. I layout the spine with a small ruler and mark off every 10mm (3/8") or so.
On the left and right sides I  marked some half circles. Alternate left and right.
With a round file, cut each half circle. Point the file down at a 45° angle.

 With the half-round needle file cut the leaves. These are about 2mm above the half circles.
This is the result. You can shape the curves some more to produce a better shaped vine. More on the filework at my Basic Filework: Vine page.
 Here I am marked and punched for drilling the handle pin holes. These are both 1/8" and 3/16".
Holes drilled for the handle and bolster. Ready for heat treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment