To layout the scales, again I used the oval as I did on the knife itself. I've put some marks at various places around the oval to allow me to align it in a repeatable fashion.
I'll use some scraps of African Blackwood for the bolster pieces.
Once I have one shaped close to the line, I clamp a second piece and shape them together. Identify the pieces as L or R with pencil so you don't get them mixed up.
The stabilized yellow birch scale pieces are shaped to fit inside the bolster curve. To do this, place the bolster piece on the scale and mark the curve. Shape close to the line on the disc sander, then clamp it to the bench and use a file or some 220 grit sandpaper and a block. Try to keep the block perpendicular to the scale face.
Here they are fairly closely matched.
I am going to rough up some 0.02" aluminum with 60 grit sandpaper and cut oversize with tin snips. I will join these with epoxy and grind off the excess.
Here is a simple clamping jig to hold the pieces while the epoxy sets. I lined the bed with waxed paper. Epoxy has a hard time sticking to waxed paper.
I have clamped the scale piece in and I am applying the epoxy. Apply epoxy to every mating surface, wood and aluminum.
With a few clamps, apply slight end pressure. You don't want to squeeze all the epoxy out.
This is what it looks like after popping one out of the jig. Epoxy doesn't stick to the waxed paper. Ya!
Grind off any excess aluminum and epoxy. Repeat the process for the other scale. These will be pinned and epoxied to the tang after we shape the fronts of the bolster area.