Monday, January 19, 2015

How to Make a Knife Template

Using OpenOffice Draw to Make Knife Templates

(The zero dollar way)

I get a lot of questions about using graphic software to make knife templates (patterns). As most folks don't have expensive software, I chose the free OpenOffice Draw program and made a brief how to video that should get you started. Free is always best hey?

The key thing is that Draw can create vector graphics. The are made up of points that can be scaled, stretched, and tweaked to your heart's content. If you've seen my PDF Templates. These are created with a vector graphics application.

If you don't have it, you'll need to download OpenOffice here. Once installed click the Draw icon to start Draw. The rest is pretty easy to work through.




I've really tried to keep this simple. I hope that some fellow knifemakers will find it useful.

Best of luck!

Please let me know how your templates are coming along.



D

2 comments:

  1. [IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/2eald1g.jpg[/IMG]


    Hey Dan, great website. Above is a link to my rendition of your TCK1 template. This is my 5th working knife, it's still in process, but I just wanted to share an update with you. Keep up the good work...I think the DH13 is next on the chopping block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey that looks really good!

    Thanks for your kind words.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete