Monday, January 19, 2015

DH1 - 4 SCALE PREP


For the little brother, I am using some blue dyed stabilized maple from WoodStabilizer.com. The scale pieces are 1/4" thick and 1-1/2" x 5", so there going to be a bit of waste. I'll keep the scraps for another purpose one day.
Here I've traced the tang out and left about 1/8" to 3/16" extra.  Then cut on the band saw.
Clamp the first scale down and drill the holes.
After drilling one scale I use wooden dowel to temporarily pin it to the tang. Then clamp and drill the second scale. The pins help keep everything lined up.
Now I take the scales off the tang and re-pin with the same wooden dowel pieces. This keeps the two scales lined up.
Now, I will shape the front. First on the band saw, then on the disc sander.
After the disc sander, I get some black polishing compound on the buffing wheel and make sure they are nice and shiny.
After the buffing.
This is a dry fit to check the alignment of the scales. The alignment is super important on the fronts. This will be our last chance to get them just right.
In order to increase the surface area of the scale, I carved some little grooves in it with the Dremel tool.

Ready for Acraglas.

No comments:

Post a Comment