Tuesday, May 19, 2015

BC8 BUSHCRAFT KNIFE - SHEATH PART 1

I started by making a paper template and checked the fit over the knife. This is a common Manila file folder. I left about 1/2" around each side of the blade.
Once I am happy with the basic shape and how it folds, I tack it on to a piece of leather. In this case I have some 10 oz. veg. tanned.
I mark the shape on to the leather. Normally I would use a pencil to trace the shape, but for visibility, I used a permanent marker.
Cutting the leather shape is done with a very sharp knife and a smooth board. A cheap kitchen cutting board will work for a backing.
I find the 1/2 way point and mark a pencil line. This is where I will gouge the leather with a groover to make it easier to fold without distressing the leather.
A squirt of water on the fold will help it take shape.
Now it's time to cut the welt. I usually make them about 3/8" and longer than needed.
In the tip, I drill a hole with a 1/8" drill bit. Set this in from the tip about 1/4".
With the blade cut a notch .

Stamp a border as you like. I used the "branch" stamp I made here.
Some camouflage embellishments give a softer border.
I applied some Fiebing's Tan dye with a swab.
When it's wet the Tan looks much darker. It lightens as it drys. Avoid putting too much dye on, unless you want it darker than tan.
After scuffing the join area and applying some contact adhesive, I pressed the belt strap to the back of the sheath.

With some USMC black, I went around the edges where the border is going to be. I also swabbed the back and the belt strap to make a 'sunburst' effect.
Here I drilled the strap holes with a 1/16" bit.
Stitched with doubled 50# braided fishing line.
Once the black dye dries, I used a lighter to singe the fuzzies off of the leather and give a burnished look.
Apply contact adhesive to the welt.
And the second gluing, then press the edges together. Try to match all three edges of leather.







Continued in Bushcraft Knife Sheath Part 2 >>

No comments:

Post a Comment