Tuesday, July 7, 2015

KN12 PETTY 205mm - FINAL GRIND & HANDLE FITTING

After the tempering cycles, I start the final grind. This is usually done with a fresh belt. Here I am using a ceramic 120 grit and cutting the primary bevel down to about 0.5mm or about 0.020".
This grind is symmetrical so I grind the same amount on each side. Each pass I cool the blade in water.







Here I am checking the edge in a few places with a caliper.






After the edge is down to that 0.5mm or 0.02", I do some hand sanding to take the bigger scratches out.
A quick shot on the buffing wheel will reveal any left over scratches that need more sanding. By this stage I am using 320 to 400 grit sand paper.
As I resurfaced the ferrule to get rid of a little gap that was showing around the shoulder and the ferule slot, I need to reshape the slot with slightly. Here I use a square needle file in the slot to put a slight bevel on the opening.
Heating the tip of the tang and fully inserting to burn the insides a bit more.
Etching my mark.
A quick clean with Windex neutralizes the electrolyte.
The handle fits well.
Time for the big glue up. I mixed up 10 ml (about 2 teaspoons) of Acraglas.
Goop the epoxy into the hole. More is better than less. It should squeeze out when pressing the tang in.
Wipe off any excess. I like to use Armor All wipes for this. Now we wait the recommended 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment