Tuesday, July 7, 2015

KN12 PETTY 205mm - LAYOUT & INITIAL GRIND

I am going to make a kitchen knife style in the Japanese gyuto (chef's knife) style. It will feature a wa, the traditional handle. 

For this knife I used the KN12 pattern, which is an 8" gyuto wa. I glued the printed paper on to a piece of 1/4" plywood with carpenter's glue.
Cut the shape out on the bandsaw and cleaned up the edges with a belt sander.
I will be applying this to a 1-1/2" piece of  154CM steel, so this is more of a petty knife than a proper gyuto.
With the bandsaw, I cut close to the line.

In a few minutes the rough profile is done.
On the belt grinder with a 60 grit ceramic belt I take the shape back to the line.


Now the shape is very close, I'll clean up the faces. It's super convenient to use the 4"x"36" belt sander with an 80 grit aluminum oxide belt.
You can see the shape is similar, but the petty knife is not as deep as the gyuto.

No comments:

Post a Comment