Friday, July 24, 2015

KN16 PETTY 160mm - LAYOUT & PROFILE

I am going to make a smaller Japanese kitchen knife called a Petty. It will have a traditional handle "wa" and be about 11 inches (270mm) long overall. The steel is my old standby AEB-L stainless from Uddeholm in Sweden. My stock is 0.130" x 1-1/2" x 9 inches long.
After tracing the KN16 pattern on the steel I cut with the band saw.
Cutting just outside the line. In the curve here I make a series of cuts to get the curve close. These slots will be cut or ground out after.
On to the grinder with a 60 grit to bring the shape back to the lines.
Checking the shoulder for squareness to the spine of the blade. This will present the wa handle in a line straight to the spine.
After some rough grinding on the primary bevel I will tidy this up for heat treatment.











Lakeside hand sanding. This is what lawn chairs are made for!









No comments:

Post a Comment