Friday, July 24, 2015

KN16 PETTY 160mm - SAYA



For the saya I found some pieces of Eastern maple from an old pallet. It had a little section of interesting grain so I planed it with the thickness planer.
I set the fence on the table saw to rip about 3 mm (1/8").
Three pieces are needed. One centre and the two outsides. I traced the blade shape on to the centre lamination and cut out on the band saw.
Now to glue the centre to the right. Here I used indoor/outdoor carpenter's glue. Even pressure is required. Extra glue can squeeze out, that's not a problem. Just wipe it off with a damp cloth.
Once dried, I trace a line about 5 mm (3/16") outside of the pocket. Then cut this shape with the band saw.
Now to glue the cut out to the left panel. Same glue is used here. After this dries well, cut the left panel to match. Now we have all three laminations the same basic shape. Sand a little and drill the saya pin hole. I went with 3/16" dowel.
Rubbed some mineral oil in for deep protection.
After an application of tung oil. The tung oil hardens and is buffed with some fine steel wool.


No comments:

Post a Comment