Monday, December 21, 2015

KN18 THROUGH TANG - SHAPING THE HANDLE

After a day of sitting in a warm place, the epoxy is hard enough to grind. I am starting with a 36 grit zirconia belt with the flat platen.
The objective is to true up all four sides and make clean rectangles.
I want the slant back, but I cannot go too far. If I grind through, it will expose the threaded hole that the tang screw is in.
I used the water bucket here a lot. The epoxy is good, but no epoxy can stand the heat that will build up in a chunk of steel being ground down.
I start to round the handle by holding it at 45° and passing across the belt. Occasionally, I work the handle in the vertical position.
At this point I am checking the symmetry and working equally to make a nice oval cross section. I am dipping the handle in water just about every pass to keep it cool. If you expose the screw hole in the butt, you can plug it with a piece of brass like I did. ;-)
Here the handle is starting to feel good in hand.







Moving up to a 220 grit AO belt in the slack belt mode. I find this slightly burns the wood and darkens the burl considerably.
Here you can see the profile of the handle and how it will be in it's finished shape.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment