Tuesday, May 3, 2016

DH55 - SCALES & GLUE UP


For the handle I have some nice maple burl from my friend Rene at A Plus Hardwoods in New Brunswick, Canada.  I trace the tang out and leave room for shaping the arc at the bolster end.

I shape the arc mostly with a disc sander and the by hand with 180 grit sandpaper and a block.
Once the scales are fitted I place a strip of 0.02" brass shim stock and black vulcanized spacer between the bolster and the scale and then clamp and drill on the drill press.
I cut the pin stock about 1/8" over size and chamfer the ends. Then I clean everything with acetone and mix up a tablespoon of West System g/flex. Put on the rubber gloves and smear every surface. This epoxy is forgiving as it takes time to set.
Once everything is in place and epoxy is everywhere, gently squeeze the scales. Even, firm pressure about 5 to 10 pounds is all that's needed. Do not squeeze all the epoxy out with excessive pressure.

Now the wait. It takes almost a whole day for the epoxy to set hard enough to grind. Be patient here. Set the knife in a warm place for at least 12 hours.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished up a DH55 for a local TV station Holiday Auction
    https://www.facebook.com/GasPointKnifeShop/photos/?tab=album&album_id=326582177686064

    ReplyDelete