Friday, August 30, 2019

KN58-4 Chef's Knife in CPMS35VN and Spalted Maple

This is an 8" chef's knife that I shaped from a piece of Cruicible's S35VN cutlery steel. The bolsters are 416 stainless and the pins are black paper Micarta and a copper and brass mosaic for the center position. Liners are 3/32" black vulcanized fibre. I took these photos before setting the cutting edge which is at  17 degrees.





Dan



6 comments:

DVS said...

Beautiful!!! Thank you for all the great info you post!

Ryan said...

Hey dude, I was wondering if you’d be willing to let an aspiring knifemaker “intern” under you?

D. Comeau said...

Hi Ryan,

I am flattered that you asked. However, I have a very erratic schedule as I manage a business full time and make knives only when I find some spare time. That may be between 5 AM and 6 AM on Thursday morning if you know what I mean. One day I will retire and make knives all day long. Sigh...one day.

Dan

Ryan said...

I you want to exchange emails maybe we could work out a time that you could show me a thing or two if the stars align?

Toby said...

Dan - the vulcanized fibre ; where it transitions from under the scales to behind the bolster - is it cut or simply folded?

D. Comeau said...

Hi Toby,

Good question. I am not sure how other makers do it, but I use two pieces to do the transition. I cut the larger scale-tang piece to fit the closely to the bolster's inside edge, that is the junction of the tang to the bolster. Paying careful attention to the outside of the bolster where the liner is going to be exposed. Then I cut two strips approximately 1/4" x 1" to line the scale-bolster junction. The 1/4" is just a tiny bit more then than the thickness of the bolster material. Squeeze both liner pieces and scale to the tang on one side and clamp before drilling through the the scale and large liner piece. Then I temporarily pin the first scale and liner and repeat the process with the opposite side. I like to use use temporary wooden dowel as pins to dry fit everything and check for gaps before epoxying.

Regards,

Dan